Why a Free Air Conditioning Estimate is in Your Best Interest? Pasco
- It’s good advice to arrange for 3-5 free quotes when shopping for a new AC unit, because service call fees will get expensive
- Each contractor will bring new information and generate new questions for you.
- Reinterview your two favorites and negotiate the best price
- A lot of factors go into a proper air conditioning system replacement, so make sure you get all of the facts through several interviews.
- This Process will guarantee you to get the best deal!
But wait, “Free Estimates” aren’t really FREE, are they?
How to replace your air conditioning system, without making these costly mistakes.
1. Make sure you choose a company that has 24 hour service.
- The most likely time for you to find your air conditioner down is when you come home after a long workday or on the weekend when you have guests.
- Knowing your contractor will be there for you when you need them is very important.
- We suggest calling your contractor candidates late in the evening or on the weekend and see if you can get through and if there is additional “convenience fees.”
2. Avoid companies that only sell AC equipment, and lack a strong service department.
- All companies claim to provide great service but you should put them to the test.
- Call your prospective contractors from an alternate phone and explain that you have a 2-year-old system which should still be under manufacturer warranty.
- If they don’t schedule your a service call in timely manner, RUN!
- Contractors without strong service departments make all sorts of excuses as to why they can’t run warranty calls… What if the machine they sell you fails under warranty?
- Wait, for follow up calls from contractors on estimates, If no call is received question their, ability to service, established process, price.
3. The old adage that, “you get what you pay for,” is especially true for A/C equipment .
- An A/C system change-out is one of the more expensive home repairs/improvements that most homeowners experience.
- You are likely to have “sticker shock” and the lowest bid may be very attractive, but beware of several terrible cost cutting methods.
- Pulling a permit can add 15-20% to the cost of installation but it is for your protection. The permit will be inspected by the county to make sure that everything is installed up to code. Make sure the same company name is in all three places: Invoice, Permit, Installing Crew.
- Many contractors cut corners on permits, insurance, licensing, etc.
- All estimates you receive should have contractor license number that can be verified HERE myfloridalicense.com DBPR
4. Check online Reviews!
- Before choosing an air conditioning contractor, make sure that the company holds a good rapport among customers and has proven history of quality and timely services.
- Confirm with Better Business Bureau that the company history of complaints and lawsuits and offered resolutions.
- Check all third-party review sites such as: Google, Yelp, & Angie’s List to gather up your facts regarding the contractor performance and customer service.
5. Always ask for a detailed proposal.
- A detailed proposal is a sign of a quality contractor, reflecting that they are willing to back up their offer and stand behind the guarantees made.
- Be cautious of proposal with crazy disclaimers before you sign. Disclaimers are hidden in watermark writing on back of contact, or link to web page with disclaimers list. Some disclaimers are nasty holding you home insurance responsable before contractor’s general liability.
- Ask for insurance certificate made out in your name and address. Do not choose a company with minimum coverage.
6. A contractor should have in-depth knowledge about your Air Conditioning System Warranties and its installation process.
- Ask what the contractor does above what is required by the permit process.
- Discuss who will schedule permit, many times the worst part of new A/C system install, definitely better if you contractor takes care of contacting county and you for appt and every time it’s needed.
- Find out if you or the contractor will register your Manufacturer parts warranty or if you have to. We see so many sad cases where a simple registration would and save big bucks.
- Ask about labor warranty, how long is it?, is it through contractor or other company?, what type of maintenance is required to maintain it?, Does it need to be registered? What parts are included not covered by manufacturer warranty?(freon,t-stat,breakers,& etc)
7. Your contractor should have knowledge of the newest developments in equipment, technology and design procedures.
- The best contractors help you choose an efficient and reliable system that works best for you and your family needs.
- Top contractors will help you determine if your home is prone to indoor air pollution problems which may affect health and comfort of your family.
- The ideal contractor for you will be highly trained in the proper techniques for recovering, recycling, reclaiming and disposing of used refrigerant.